SUICIDE IN OUR IVORY TOWERS

General Section for all topics that do not fit in in any of the AVAILABLE SECTIONS.
Forum rules
Please don't spam this section with irrelevant Posts.
Olakunle

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:13 pm

"Depression was what happened to Americans, with their self-absolving need to turn everything into an illness. …we don't talk about things like depression in Nigeria but it is real" Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche, Americanah.

Suicide has come to stay in Nigeria and it resides in our University

Our attitude towards depression in Nigeria is awful; we act as if it is alien to this land, whereas one in every forty-five Nigerians is depressed (according to the World Health Organization). This means there are about 4 million depressed people among us. Isn't that more than the whole population of Bayelsa state? As Adiche rightly said in the opening quote, we don't talk about things like depression in Nigeria. That is why suicide now abodes with us, with our ivory towers as its living room, as there is hardly a month without the news of a university student committing suicide.

Two weeks ago, a final year student at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Chukwuemeka Akachi committed suicide by drinking two bottles of Snipper. Akachi left a suicide note on his Facebook page. The suicide note reads, "Forgive me. In case you are the one who found the body, I am really sorry. It had to be someone you know. I have chosen Jo Nketail's poem as my suicide note: "they said you came looking for me. I don't drown. I was the water, where do atheists go when they die! Lol. Amen" It was the second time Akachi would attempt suicide. Akachi had earlier posted a short statement on his Facebook page on May 12, 2019, saying, "My mental health has been a life support for a while now. Thanks to those who call. Text. Visit. Speak to me. May we always remember. May we never forget. You may have added a few hours, months or days to my time here. But you know life support is expensive right? Thank you for trying. Amen"

I don't know what meaning you give to Akachi's suicide note, but his first post provides us with an idea that he suffered from mental ill-health, probably depression, which caused him to kill himself. Perhaps we leave that and look at Kolapo Olowoporoku, a student at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Ile-Ife who committed suicide a month ago because he failed some courses. Olowoporoku was an extra year student who ought to have graduated with his mates two years earlier. Although he wasn't the only one who failed those courses, Olowoporoku killed himself by swallowing a poisonous substance. If you think these are adolescent students who are too young to understand the vicissitudes of life, what about Mr. Aminu Zubair, a former lecturer in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Ibadan and a Ph.D. student at the same university, who set himself ablaze in his staff quarters on the university premises? Mr. Zubair was said to have been on his Ph.D. for the past 22 years, while reports also alleged that he had some family issues.

Many things can cause depression among people, especially the young: failures, expectations, broken relationship, social rejection, and so on. And suicide victims are not always cowards as we often think them to be; they are rational human beings like you and I who encounter challenges beyond their power, their faith, and their beliefs. The only difference is that they may be less strong-willed than we are. That is why anytime someone announces that he is depressed and wants to kill himself, he deserves our empathy and compassion, not scorn and condemnation, as one often sees on social media, as if anyone is happy killing himself.

Although I have never been depressed, despite all life has thrown at me, I know what the victims go through. As a university student, life on campus has been highly challenging, so I understand why suicide now thrives in our ivory towers. We study under very severe conditions. Our student affairs departments are out of sync with our needs as students. The counselors and staff advisers only exist in names. The student union, faculty and departmental associations underperform as regards our welfare. Religion associations are only after our mint. Class representatives do not represent us. Yet our parents pressure us to succeed amid these stupefying odds. We feel alone, deserted and abandoned. And thoughts of death begin to drift to us. But we must continue to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. We must remember that life is a precious gift from God; and killing ourselves is giving the middle finger to God. Talk to someone when you feel depressed. Seek medical help. Suicide is not the solution to life's difficulties. It is just a fatal escape.

Still test running signature. CC panel is boring
TimothyPHACY

Замена экрана на iPhone 5s, 6, 7, 7 Plus, 8, X.

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. Ремонт iPad киев, Сервис Apple, сервисный центр Apple. Срочный ремонт. Оригинальные запчасти. Все виды ремонта: замена батареи, корпуса и дисплея, кнопки, камеры, разъем, после воды . Гарантия 1 год. Замена батареи. Оригинальные запчасти. Ремонт iРhone срочно, Гарантия, доставка. Оригинальные запчасти в наличии! Безналичный рассчет, рассрочка
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:17 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. Ремонт день в день. Бесплатная диагностика. Отслеживание ремонта. Гарантия. Модели: іРhоnе 5S, іРhоnе 6, іРhоnе 6 Plus, іРhоnе 6S, іРhоnе 7, іРhоnе 7 Plus, іРhоnе 8, іРhоnе 8 Plus. Ремонт МасВооk, Ремонт іРоd, Ремонт Аррle, Wаtсh Ремонт іРаd, Ремонт техники Apple, Обслуживание техники Эпл?, Качественный ремонт техники Эпл в Днепре. Замена стекла или экрана в течении 1 Часа
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. ремонт телефонов разных брендов и моделей, для установки защитного стекла, пленки (диагональ дисплея от 6 дюймов) срочно обращайтесь за ремонтом смартфона в Киеве, Ремонт мобильных телефонов, планшетов, ноутбуков в Киеве, делаем качественный ремонт iPhone всех моделей в нашем сервис центре в Киеве, Все модели 8, 8plus, X, Xs, Xs Max, Xr в наличии. Доставка по Украине. Гарантия. Большой выбор аксессуаров для Айфон. Свой сервисный центр. Гарантия, Айфон Xs, Max,Айфон Xs, Айфон Xr, Макбук Air, Аймак Айфон Xs Max Dual Sim, Качество, гарантия, недорого, ремонт iphone 6 киев, замена экрана iphone 5s цена украина, срочный ремонт iphone киев, замена стекла iphone 5 киев, замена батареи iphone 5s киев, ремонт iphone 5s
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:21 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. замена экрана ipad, ремонт планшетов в киеве, гаджет сервис, замена экрана mini 3, lcd problem, поменять стекло на ipad 4, заменить экран на ipad 4 своими руками, замена стекла на ipad 4, замена Alicante, Аликанте, как сделать, как заменить экран на айпаде эйр, своими руками заменить сенсорное стекло на ipad air, замена экрана на ipad air, сломан ipad 4, видео инструкция как заменить стекло на ipad air, ipad mini, touch screen replacement, сенсорный экран, айпад мини, ipad mini разборка, disassembly apple ipad 2, ремонт техники apple, ремонт планшетов, ремонт ноутбуков, замена тачскрин, glass, защитное стекло, сервисный центр
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:22 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. восстановление ipad 4, ошибка 1, разборка, видеоинструкция, ремонтайфон, разборкаайфон, ремонтмакбук, ремонтпланшетов, ремонтайпад, ремонттелефонов, разборкаайпад, своими руками заменить дисплея на ipad air 2, как заменить экран на айпад эйр 2, самостоятельная замена стекла на ipad air 2, замена экрана на ipad air 2, ремонтэпл, smartservice, appleipad, хороший сервис, ipad air отключается, замена сенсора на ipad, замена поляризатора, ремонт ipad air в казани, электроника, repairipad, смартсервис, remonter, ремонтер, видео инструкция как заменить стекло на ipad air 2, не работает экран на ipad air 2, разбор, как разобрать, ремонт телефонов дарницкий, сервисный центр позняки, замена дисплея ipad, how make
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. disassembly apple ipad air, замена сенсора apple ipad air, ремонт apple ipad air, разборка apple ipad air, замена дисплея apple ipad air, замена аккумулятора apple ipad air, замена запчастей apple ipad air, замена тачскрина apple ipad air, замена экрана apple ipad air, замена дисплея ipad 2, замена экрана apple ipad 2, яблоко, эпл, retina, ips, ремонт планшета, ремонт телефона, шок, переклейка дисплея, oca, замена тачскрина айпад, air 2 disassembly, айпад ремонт, анлок ipad, айклоуд ipad, 3g, icloud (software), ipad как открыть, air 2 touchscreen replacement, air 2, разбит, ipad 2 разборка, как разобрать apple ipad 2, починить, air 2 display replacement, замена экрана, ремонт айпад эир 2, apple, рекавери
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. смартфон, сенсорное, ipad 3 (gadget), ремонтайфон, ремонтмакбук, ремонтпланшетов, ремонтайпад, разборкаайфон, сервисныйцентр, ремонтэпл, разборкаайпад, ремонттелефонов, ремонт ipad в барселоне, iphone 7, обход активации apple, как обойти активацию apple id, замена аккумулятора ipad 2, замена сенсора apple ipad 2, apple ipad 2 замена шлейфа, ремонт apple ipad 2, замена батареи apple ipad 2, repair apple ipad 2, ремонт iphone, как отвязать от icloud, разблокировка айфон, замена сенсора на iphone, ipad air fix, кнопка, не работает, замена стекла ipad air, repair ipad air, планшете, разборка, плёночной, сенсорной, чистка, teardown apple ipad air
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 am

Срочный ремонт iPhone, iPad и др. устройств Apple в Киеве Kyiv http://i7phone.com.ua в Украине Вы можете отправить нам на диагностику и ремонт в Сервисный Центр i7phone из любого региона Украины «Новой Почтой» 063-229-3386. ремонт телефонов разных брендов и моделей, для установки защитного стекла, пленки (диагональ дисплея от 6 дюймов) срочно обращайтесь за ремонтом смартфона в Киеве, Ремонт мобильных телефонов, планшетов, ноутбуков в Киеве, делаем качественный ремонт iPhone всех моделей в нашем сервис центре в Киеве, Все модели 8, 8plus, X, Xs, Xs Max, Xr в наличии. Доставка по Украине. Гарантия. Большой выбор аксессуаров для Айфон. Свой сервисный центр. Гарантия, Айфон Xs, Max,Айфон Xs, Айфон Xr, Макбук Air, Аймак Айфон Xs Max Dual Sim, Качество, гарантия, недорого, ремонт iphone 6 киев, замена экрана iphone 5s цена украина, срочный ремонт iphone киев, замена стекла iphone 5 киев, замена батареи iphone 5s киев, ремонт iphone 5s
TimothyPHACY

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:35 am

In addition to iPad digitizer and LCD screen replacements http://i7phone.com.ua/remont-ipad i7phone offers iPad repair parts to solve problems with your battery, dock connector assembly, headphone jack assembly and much more. We have OEM-compliant iPad parts that are 100% guaranteed and shipped quickly. If you’re not certain exactly which iPad replacement parts to order, our support
YuliaAdomi

Well Cartel

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi everyone! I was pondering whether anybody wishes to sign up with me as a hemp and CBD goods reviewer? I have actually received a good deal of cbd product lines from best manufacturers which include Sky and Wyatt I likewise have a lot of CBD and hemp goods to send to CBD and hemp reviewers, including CBD Vaping, CBD Gummies and CBD Dabs I likewise do vape reviews and am seeking a vape reviewer also to review the following eliquid brands (will be shipped to you): Bazoogum E-Juice, Elusive E-Juice and PNW E-Juice Many thanks guys and have a fab day! You can reach me at https://allcbdstores.com
YuliaAdomi

CBD Flower

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi everyone! I was being curious whether or not anyone wishes to join me as a cannabis and CBD product reviewer? I have actually been given a huge amount of cbd goods from well known companies which include Juco Premium Hemp Company I also have a great deal of CBD and hemp items to send out to CBD and hemp reviewers, including CBD CARTRIDGES, CBD Doobies and CBD Skin Care I likewise do vape reviews and am trying to find a vape reviewer also to review the following eliquid brand names (will be sent to you): Chubby Bubble Vapes E-Juice, Kohiba E-Liquid and Southern Shade E-Juice Thanks guys and have a fabulous day! You can contact me at https://allcbdstores.com

Return to “GENERAL SECTION”

Latest Info

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests
Registered users: No registered users
Most users ever online was 44 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:01 am
Total posts 271
Total topics 86
Total members 18184
Our newest member ZacharyHit
No birthdays today

THE NOBLE PEOPLE'S FORUM